3 people were killed in a stabbing attack near Tel Aviv : NPR

Israeli forces obtain the area of a stabbing attack in the town of Elad, on Thursday. Israeli medics say at the minimum three people were killed.

Maya Alleruzzo/AP

hide caption

toggle caption

Maya Alleruzzo/AP

Israeli forces obtain the area of a stabbing attack in the town of Elad, on Thursday. Israeli medics say at the minimum three people were killed.

Maya Alleruzzo/AP

JERUSALEM — A pair of Palestinian attackers went on a stabbing rampage in a town near Tel Aviv on Thursday night, killing at the minimum three people and wounding four others before fleeing in a means, Israeli authorities said.

Police launched a enormous search for the assailants, setting up roadblocks and dispatching a helicopter. The stabbing, coming on Israel’s Independence Day, was the latest in a string of deadly attacks in Israeli cities in recent weeks.

“We will get our hands on the terrorists and their supportive ecosystem, and they will pay the price,” Israeli chief Minister Naftali Bennett said after huddling with senior security officials late Thursday.

Israeli-Palestinian tensions have soared recently, with the attacks in Israel, military operations in the occupied West Bank and violence at Jerusalem’s most sensitive holy site. The site, home to the Al Aqsa Mosque, was the scene of new unrest earlier Thursday.

Alon Rizkan, a medic with Israel’s Magen David Adom rescue service, described a “very difficult call” when he arrived at the scene in Elad, an ultra-Orthodox town near Tel Aviv. He said he identified three dead people at various locations. at the minimum four others were wounded, one critically, officials said.

Israeli media quoted police as saying there were two assailants, and just before midnight, police said they were nevertheless searching for the attackers. They called on the public to avoid the area, and urged people to report suspicious vehicles or people to them.

Israel marked its Independence Day on Thursday, a festive national holiday in which people typically keep up barbecues and attend air shows.

Defense Minister Benny Gantz ordered a closure on the West Bank, imposed ahead of the holiday and preventing Palestinians from entering Israel, to keep in effect until Sunday.

In Washington, State Department spokesman Ned Price said the attack appeared to be “the latest in what has been a string of despicable terrorist attacks that have moved Israel.”

“Our commitment to our Israeli partners, to Israel’s security, that is ironclad,” he additional.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, whose government administers independent zones in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, condemned the attack.

“The killing of Palestinian and Israeli civilians leads only to more decline at a time when all of us try to unprotected to stability and prevent escalation,” the official Wafa news agency quoted him as saying.

The Palestinian militant group Hamas, which rules the Gaza Strip, praised the attack and connected it to violence at the Jerusalem holy site.

“The storming of Al-Aqsa Mosque can’t go unpunished,” Hamas spokesman Hazem Qassem said. “The heroic operation in Tel Aviv is a functional translation of what the resistance had warned against.”

The Al-Aqsa Mosque compound is the third holiest site in Islam and is built on a hilltop that is the holiest site for Jews, who refer to it as the Temple Mount. It lies at the emotional heart of the conflict, and Palestinians and Israeli police have clashed there repeatedly in recent weeks.

Early Thursday, Israeli police entered the site to clear away Palestinian protesters, after Jewish visits that had been paused for the Muslim holidays resumed.

As the visits resumed, dozens of Palestinians gathered, chanting “God is greatest.” Scuffles broke out when the police went to arrest one of them. Police fired rubber-coated bullets on the sprawling esplanade as some Palestinians protected inside the mosque itself. The police could later be seen just inside an entrance to the barricaded mosque.

The police said they responded to dozens of people who were shouting incitement and throwing stones, and that one police officer was lightly injured. The Palestinian Red Crescent emergency service said two Palestinians were taken to a hospital after being hit with batons.

Unlike in past confrontations, Palestinian witnesses said there was no rock-throwing initially. Some of those who protected inside the mosque began throwing stones and other objects when police entered the building. The witnesses spoke on condition of anonymity because of security concerns.

Under informal arrangements known as the position quo, Jews are allowed to visit the site but not pray there. In recent years, they have visited in ever-increasing numbers with police escorts and many have discreetly prayed, angering the Palestinians in addition as nearby Jordan, which is the custodian of the site. The Palestinians have long feared that Israel plans to ultimately take over the site or partition it.

Israel says it is committed to maintaining the position quo, and accuses Hamas of inciting the recent violence.

It has been some of the worst bloodshed in years. at the minimum 18 Israelis have died in five attacks — including a stabbing rampage in southern Israel, two other shootings in the Tel Aviv area and a shooting last weekend in a West Bank settlement. Nearly 30 Palestinians have died in violence — most of whom had carried out attacks or were involved in confrontations with Israeli forces in the West Bank. But an unarmed woman and a lawyer who appears to have been inadvertently shot were also killed.

Israel and Hamas fought an 11-day war a year ago, fueled in large part by similar unrest in Jerusalem.

Click: See details

Leave a Reply