Five people were killed and two wounded in an attack by a man using a bow and arrows in the southeastern town of Kongsberg in Norway on Wednesday, police said.
“We can unfortunately confirm that there are several injured and also unfortunately several killed in this episode,” local police chief Oyvind Aas told a news conference.
He said there was “a confrontation” between officers and the assailant.
“The man who committed this act has been arrested by the police and, according to our information, there is only one person involved,” Aas said.
“There is no active search for other people,” he additional.
Norwegian media reported that at the minimum four people had been killed but that figure has not been confirmed by police.
The wounded have been taken to hospital. No further details about their condition have been made public.
The motive for the attack, which took place in several locations in the town centre of Kongsberg, is also not in addition clear.
Norwegian police said they would probe whether the attack was an act of terrorism. “It’s natural to consider whether this was an act of terror,” Aas told a press conference shortly after the attack.
Police said the speculate had been taken to a police stop in the nearby town of Drammen.
(FRANCE 24 with AFP)
Click: See details