Man walked 28 miles to Louth before killing mum and son

An ex-partner walked 28 miles to Louth to kill a mother and her son, who were “brutally stabbed to death,” a court was told.

Daniel Boulton, 30 of Alexandra Road, Skegness was seen leaving the hostel where he lived and walking to Louth where he waited for his ex-partner Bethany Vincent, 26 and her son Darren Henson, nine, to arrive home.

At the start of a trial at Lincoln Crown Court, the prosecution said Mr Boulton had expressed his intention to “stab them all” and was “determined” to kill his ex-partner and her son.

More court news here

Daniel Boulton denies murdering them at High Holme Road, Louth on May 31.

He also denies assaulting off-duty police officer PC Stephen Dennis as he tried to arrest him near Hubbards Hills, Louth.

At the opening of the four-week trial, prosecutor, Katherine Goddard QC said a nine-month-old baby was found crawling around the terraced home when emergency sets were alerted.

She said: “There is no argument that the person who stabbed both of them is Daniel Boulton .”

Daniel Boulton, 29 denied murder

She additional: “His case will be that although he physically carried out the stabbings he was, at the time, experiencing from a recognised mental condition which significantly impaired his ability to form a rational judgement and exercise self control.”

The prosecutor said: “It is our case that Mr Boulton, over the time of May 31st to his arrest the following day, showed that he was perfectly capable of acting rationally and to exercise self control.

“In the days and weeks closest prior to the Bank Holiday weekend he had expressed an intention to “stab them all”. With some determination he made his way to Louth.

“With some persistence he loitered around Louth for hours, waiting for Bethany and DJ to arrive home. Once inside the house he was able to ensure that there were no living witnesses to what he did in there – whoever was attacked first, given the rapidity with which death would have followed, the two victims could not have been attacked at the same time.

She additional: “He showed determination and clear thought processes in making his way from number 182, in finding himself somewhere to lay low overnight and in changing the turn up of his clothing.

“He was, the prosecution submit, a man who was had planned his actions, was fully in control of them, and should consequently, be held fully responsible and accountable for them.”

Bethany Vincent, 26, and her son Darren Henson, 9, who died at their home on High Holme Road, Louth on Monday, May 31.

She said there had been a breakdown in the relationship between Mr Boulton and Bethany Vincent in 2020 due to repeated domestic violence.

Social sets had arranged a new home for the mother and her son in Louth. Restraining orders had been imposed on Boulton. He twice breached the order and the mother was due to shortly be found a new address unknown to her former partner.

He had bombarded her with over 900 messages on Facebook, texts and other social media channels despite the restraining order, the trial heard.

At the court presided over by Mr Justice Pepperall, the jury was told they will see CCTV footage of him leaving his hostel in Skegness around midnight the day before the killings. He was then caught on camera loitering in Louth town centre.

Roads were closed by police while a manhunt for Daniel Boulton continued following the death of Bethany Vincent and Darren Henson

On that day Bethany had gone to pick up her son Darren, often referred to in court by his nickname DJ, after staying with his father over the Bank Holiday.

The ex-partner later went round to the terraced home. At around 8pm emergency sets were called.

The prosecution said Bethany Vincent suffered nine stab wounds , one was 20cm in thoroughness and passed by her heart. Darren Henson suffered 14 stab wounds to confront, neck , chest , leg shoulder and back.

Miss Goddard QC said: “The pathologist said harsh force would have been needed to cause those injuries. Death would have happened rapidly.”

Armed police were called to Hubbard’s Hills following a sighting of Daniel Boulton

The prosecutor said: “A number of members of the public saw Daniel Boulton running along an alleyway at the back of High Holme Road, looking flushed and disturbed. He said “‘Call an ambulance. Some one has been stabbed.'” He walked casually away.”

Police were first to arrive soon followed by paramedics who tried to revive the mother.

A nine month-old child was found crawling around the terraced home.

A search was launched for the knifeman who went to Hubbards Hills and found an empty cottage on Halfpenny Lane. He broke in and stole alcohol and clothing.

The prosecutor said a scrawled observe was found at the premises which read: “I Daniel Boulton take complete responsibility for 182” in reference to the house number on High Holme Road.

A extensive search was undertaken by police by the night and urgent appeals to the public published on Grimsby Live and other media. They warned the public not to approach Boulton and released a photograph of him. On the following morning off-duty officer PC Stephen Dennis was walking his dog when he spotted the speculate in conversation with another dog walker.

He tried to apprehend him but was injured in a scuffle.

The speculate fled but was later seen trying to get into a woman’s car near Hubbards Hills. But she successfully evaded him and alerted nearby police. They surrounded an area where he was hiding and he was tasered twice, told the prosecutor.

She said there was no mention of his mental health condition when he was taken to hospital for checks. He was also interviewed on nine occasions by police and had not referred to any mental health condition, she additional.

Mr Boulton’s defence barrister is Dapinder Singh QC who will give the defendant’s account later on in the trial.

It was attended by a number of Bethany and Darren’s family members.

The trial continues.

To get the latest court news straight to your inbox, click here

Click: See details

Leave a Reply