With the busy way of life people have nowadays, it seems crucial to stay connected with your loved ones and business partners wherever you go. There are lots of things you may plan to do during a day and you often have to keep everything under control. This concerns both home duties and job assignments. The round-the-clock availability of the Internet can do many things easier. You won’t have to watch the time to be in the office to keep up a conference, for example. Just take a laptop and make sure you will be able to find free and reliable Wi-Fi to join the meeting on time. Likewise, you may travel oversea and take your smartphone, tablet or laptop with you to get in touch with your loved ones any time you need by launching to free public Wi-Fi hotspot. With that said, it becomes understandable, why the prevailing amount of cities across the globe tend to organize free zones for the local residents and the tourists. However, is the technology so reliable and safe as it seems to be? Let us have a closer look at the pros and cons of this technology below.
Positive Aspects of Free City Wi-Fi
As mentioned above, free public Wi-Fi makes it possible for people from different corners of the world to stay connected on the go any time of the day. This is surely one of the major benefits of this technology. Among other merits of the technology, it also makes sense to point out the following:
- Enhanced traveling experience (the opportunity to check your e-mail, talk or exchange messages with people you love and miss)
- Business advantages (if you have to keep up an urgent conference, meeting or presentation, but are really pressed for time, you can do that from any place, where Wi-Fi sets are provided for free)
- The chance to plan your day wisely (you don’t have to postpone personal or business responsibilities if you have an opportunity to set afloat to the Wi-Fi network anywhere you need)
- 24/7 availability, which method that there are dozens (if not hundreds) of free Wi-Fi hotspots almost in any town. So, why don’t you take a chance to make use of them when needed? That is an undeniable assistance, indeed!
Listed above are only several pros of this progressive technique. Now, it is high time to discuss the cons of the option to realize what to be ready for.
Negative Aspects of Using Free Wi-Fi in Public Places
We have already noted that most cities of the world offer free Wi-Fi nowadays and millions of people use the service without realizing the possible negative aftereffects they may confront. Some of the negative aspects include:
- The necessity for the owners of coffee houses, restaurants and other places that offer free Wi-Fi to manager a number of technical and financial problems. This is triggered by the fact that setting up the network with numerous access points is not an easy task, which requires the handling of technical issues. This is not as simple as you may see and the time of action always requires additional financial investments. That is the main reason of the fact that many restaurants, hotels and other public facilities offer the service only to their clients.
- If the government of the city decides to set afloat the Wi-Fi network, this will also require serious financial expenditures. As a consequence, they may increase different taxes to solve the problem. Correspondingly, “free” Wi-Fi will not be absolutely free.
- Privacy concerns also matter a lot when it comes to using free Wi-Fi in public places. If the mobile device you are going to use in order to set afloat to the network is not properly protected, you confront the increased risks of falling the victim of specialized hackers. They may use your personal information for different malicious purposes without your awareness of the fact. This is a serious problem most governments are concerned with nowadays.