The Benefits of Waterproofing Exterior Basement Walls
Many homeowners might think that waterproofing their exterior basement walls is not a vital thing to do. In fact, it is basic since a dry basement will give more benefits than a damp one. A serious problem that commonly happens in any basement is moisture; that’s why you should always keep it waterproofed. Besides, a damp basement can also cause some disadvantages such as the loss of character value, structural damage, and already health issues. The problem can be more serious when the rainy season comes. To help you solve the problem, waterproofing the exterior walls of your basement is the answer. Here are some benefits that you can get:
1. Waterproofing keeps water out of the walls of your basement. Most homeowners only think about how they waterproof the interior and they neglect about the exterior. In fact, the exterior also needs to be protected so that water won’t interact with wires, insulation, paint and pipes.
2. Moist conditions allow mold and mildew to grow. consequently waterproofing the outside part of your basement walls will reduce the growth of mold and mildew. Preventing the growth of mold and mildew is basic since once they grow on the walls, they will be hard to remove. In addition, they can also damage walls and can make the exterior of your house look unsightly.
3. Waterproofing basement helps you protect items stored in the basement. Moist conditions can damage furniture, paper, metal, etc. consequently you had better waterproof the exterior of the basement if you don’t want your belongings to get damaged by moisture. Make sure that you apply the best waterproofing products which provide excellent water resistance.
4. A damp basement will only take space and won’t give you any benefits. If you want to have larger space in the basement which is more usable, waterproofing is the solution. You can start protecting from the outside so that the area inside your basement will be free from moisture.
5. Excess moisture on both sides of the basement walls will cause serious structural damage. Compared to dry wood, wet wood is more unprotected. Wet wood can reduce the value and safety of your home. It provides an ideal habitat for termites, which can cause more damage to your basement and the rest of your home. Solving this problem after it occurs is possible but prevention is much better.
Waterproofing exterior basement walls is a great way to continue the value of your home. You can do it by hiring a specialized or you can do it yourself if you are on a tight budget.